Scratch music

Alexxus: Should I mention that I really need more answers from the female DJs! ;-)

It's an ongoing research project on scratching as a successful 'new musical intstrument'. It'll be the topic of a PhD. The title page in the survey tells a bit more, and also there is a link to my web page.

In short: it seems scratching cannot be described exactly like other music (surprise), and I need to collect more data on how people experience the music...any answer will be really helpful!

-kjetil falkenberg hansen

Done. I found it quite hard to find different words for each scratching sample. That's mostly because scratching is really only used to express some kind of coolness or skill. I don't think you can, for example, express feelings like sadness with it.

Also, just a hint, next time make sure to state what you want in your opening post. It doesn't make clear that you want us to do the survey.

well, i think you cannot really express a feeling through the scratches, you can express your feelings and moods through the track and the scratch.

A fast track combined with a fast scratch...can say party up,
all that in slow motion can express sadness or something like that.

But i think you cannot hear explicit different feelings in two of 12 scratches.

A dj shows skills, and "coolness" but not really his feelings like when he is sad he smashes the Vinyl and the crossfader..would be an expensive mood :D

If you want to get information about scratches itself or different skills, you should get some very different examples in your survey.

Yeah, I know how it is. I'm active only on one forum, but this time I needed to reach as many people as possible...I ended up being 'Beginner', 'Bedroom', 'Amateur' with 1 post in in every forum :-/

Hopefully now I can get many answers from Germany, right ;-)

Have a nice day, folks!

PS! Sorry that I can't/won't answer the interesting question in your posts...it wouldn't be good for the survey. But I should have told you what it was for. Thanks for your answers, guys!

Zuletzt bearbeitet: